Non-Members $399 / Members $299
3 Session Class
Session A: Milling Basics
Friday, April 30, 2021, 6:00 PM - 9:00 PM
INTRODUCTION OF MILLING BASICS
- Teach students about the industry of Manual and CNC Machining and manufacturing and the applications of the trade.
- Demo the differences between manual and CNC machines and what their strengths and weaknesses are.
- Discuss exploded views of a milling machine, use videos if needed, showing drives, ways, ball screw, and spindle
- Use of basic measuring tools
- Show students about basic cutting tools and their applications.
- Discuss feeds and speeds, Climb and Conventional
- Allow student to set up block of aluminum and make X & Y cuts
- Teach students basic metal cutting principles on the manual machine which will translate to CNC
PROJECT BASED STEPS
- Use Horizontal band-saw to cut stock to rough length
- Properly load part into milling vise
- Load a cutting tool into a Bridgeport
- Machine block to a specified length.
- Measure block to verify machining was correct.
Session B: HAAS CNC Milling Fundamentals
Friday, May 7, 2021, 6:00 PM - 9:00 PM
INTRODUCTION TO THE HAAS MILL
- Understanding the HAAS interface and button layout
- Review exploded views of the machine and understand it’s operation
- Setting tools, loading the carousel
- Learn about 123 blocks and manual probe
RUNNING A PART
- Compressor room, air dryer, power up and down, Emergency stops, resets
- Feeds and speeds and jog dial control
- Visual pre-flight, clean up
- Look at a (1M) part on a computer in Solidworks or Mastercam - export CAM G-code
- Load a pre-designed program in the simulator
- Study lines of G-code and look for XYZ movements and tool changes
- Understand where and how the machine might crash based on code and simulation
- Loading material, hold-downs, vices, torqueing
- Use probe to touch off top and sides of material stock
- Only instructor runs a demo of part 1M on the HAAS
- Shut down, cleanup
UPON COMPLETION of Session B MEMBERS WILL MOVE TO A SERIES OF HOMEWORK VIDEOS TO BE WATCHED BEFORE MOVING TO SESSION #
Session C: HAAS CNC Milling Operation
Friday, May 14, 2021, 6:00 PM - 9:00 PM
RUNNING A PART ON THE HAAS MILL
Each student will load a program on the HAAS simulator and complete the following:
Study lines of G-code and look for XYZ movements and tool changes
Tapping? - optional
Understand where and how the machine might crash based on code and simulation
Instructor assures machine will not crash and offers useful criticism on adjustments
Understand feeds and speeds
Load milled block from class (1 of 4) Each student will go through this process:
Tapping? - optional
Use probe to touch off top and sides of material stock
Each student runs a demo of part 1M on the HAAS
Instructor assures machine will not crash – offers feeds and speeds advice
Shut down, cleanup
You do not have to be a member to take this workshop. Please sign up on our website at the link below and pay tuition if you wish to attend. No experience required. Please note that MakerspaceCT's Metal Shop is an 18+ space.
In order to comply with physical distancing and occupancy requirements, this program is currently limited to no more than three (3) participants at a time.
In response to COVID-19, we have developed SAFESHOP, a proactive program that follows State of Connecticut public health guidelines provided by the DECD for keeping attendees of MakerspaceCT's programs healthy and safe. Learn more about the program here.